B.Sc. Civil Engineering Session 2017 has been granted accreditation from Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC).
People are our priority. The world is our laboratory. To make contribution to a sustainable world, shaping public policy, enhancing health & safety and the quality of life by developing global leadership among students, alumni and faculty in different phases of planning, designing, constructing, managing and renewing built natural environments.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) are to produce graduates who can exhibit following traits after five (05) years of graduation:
- Graduates demonstrate their proficiency of applying the knowledge and skills to solve complex civil engineering problems.
- Graduates communicate effectively and contribute in the project team.
- Graduates uphold principles of ethics and societal obligations with integrity throughout their professional practices.
- Graduates engage themselves in continuous professional learning process for the sustainability.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Following PLOs have been selected for the B.Sc. Civil Engineering Program.
- Engineering Knowledge: An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: An ability to identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
- Design/Development of Solutions: An ability to design solutions for complex engineering problems and design systems, components or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Investigation: An ability to investigate complex engineering problems in a methodical way including literature survey, design and conduct of experiments, analysis and interpretation of experimental data, and synthesis of information to derive valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage: An ability to create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modeling, to complex engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: An ability to apply reasoning informed by contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice and solution to complex engineering problems.
- Environment and Sustainability: An ability to understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering practice.
- Individual and Team Work: An ability to work effectively, as an individual or in a team, on multifaceted and /or multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: An ability to communicate effectively, orally as well as in writing, on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large,such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project Management: An ability to demonstrate management skills and apply engineering principles to one’s own work, as a member and/or leader in a team, to manage projects in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Life-long Learning: An ability to recognize importance of, and pursuing life-long learning in the broader context of innovation and technological developments.
Also known as the mother of all engineering disciplines, civil engineering is the oldest, broadest and most useful branch of engineering. It facilitates all engineering fields through variety of projects by the utilization of natural resources. The role of Civil Engineering has always been very vital in our daily life as we are surrounded by various Civil Engineering structures. No matter how large are the projects, Civil Engineering provides foundation for start of each project. The demand of Civil Engineers in different projects is increasing day by day. So, the Civil Engineering can never be neglected in any country and all over the globe due to its majestic art of creation.
Civil Engineering is the field of engineering which deals with the planning, design, construction and maintenance of different structures such building, roads, bridges, dams, reservoirs, canals, tunnels, railway tracks, airports, seaports, harbors etc and also impact of these structures on environment. Examples of mega Civil Engineering Structures in Pakistan are mainly Badshahi Mosque, Faisal Mosque, Shahi Qila, Shalamar Bagh, Minar-e-Pakistan, Motorway, Shahra-e-Karakoram, Terbela Dam, Mangla Dam, Ghazi Brotha Hydropower Channel and Internationally Eiffel Tower (France), Burj-al-Arab (Dubai), Pisa Tower (Italy), Eurotunnel (through sea) (France), Three Gorges Dam (China) etc. Civil Engineers utilize the available resources (expertise, materials, manpower) to complete the project in a given time span keeping in view the time, expenditure, environmental issues and physical hazards of the project.
Civil Engineers are employed by a wide range of national and international firms/organizations. In Pakistan, civil Engineers are consumed in various Government as well as Private organizations including mainly, Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA), Communication and Works Department (C&W), Indus River System Authority (IRSA), Pakistan Railways, Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), National Highway Authority (NHA), Irrigation and Power Department, Public Health Engineering Department (PHE) and in Private Sectors, consulting firms like National Engineering Services of Pakistan (NesPak), Associated Consulting Engineers (ACE) and Contractors Like Descon Engineering, Izhar Construction, Habib Rafiq and many others.